In the unexpected twist of the season, Brandon Woodruff did not undergo surgery and is back in Milwaukee to begin a throwing progression, a change of plans that could drastically change the outlook for the right-hander’s career going forward.
Woodruff, who rejoined the club Aug. 21 after a month at home, said he was fully intent on getting a second anterior capsule surgery when he traveled to Nashville for an early-August four-week scan. It was those scans – which were always part of the plan as he wanted to exhaust every avenue given the implications of a second shoulder surgery – that put a pause on his plans.
Advertisement
Woodruff then traveled to Dallas to see his performing surgeon, Dr. Keith Meister, who told him surgery was not recommended.
More: Why did Brewers manager Pat Murphy yank his starter in the middle of an at-bat?
Woodruff previously told reporters in late July he was going to undergo surgery after reinjuring his shoulder July 4 in Arizona.
A return this postseason is still unlikely for Woodruff, who indicated he has “no expectations” moving forward of when he could return to game action. He plans to begin playing catch starting next Wednesday, Aug. 26.
This news, however, figures to put not only 2027 in the equation for Woodruff. The 33-year-old had previously said he still wanted to pitch after surgery, but the real-life ramifications of a second shoulder surgery would have made that a difficult challenge.
Advertisement
Woodruff is still not out of the woods quite yet, but remains upbeat, all things considered.
“Everything happens for a reason,” he said. “I’m thankful.”
This article originally appeared on Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: Brewers pitcher Brandon Woodruff to avoid surgery in unexpected twist
